Sunday, April 26, 2009

Can crape myrtle be grown as a tree in Zone 6 or 7?

I am in Zone 6 or 7 (depending on which resource I inquire to) here in NY. Does anybody know if crape myrtle can be grown here as a tree and not as a die-back shrub only? I know that they are not really cold-hardy and for areas like mine, they die from the ground up during winter only to grow up again in spring. But with this, they would not grow as a tree then....

Can crape myrtle be grown as a tree in Zone 6 or 7?
No, the winters are too harsh. You might get lucky and make it through a few "light winters", but a normal or hard winter will kill it back. I`ve tried several times, it always gets them.
Reply:The National Arboretum has bred Crape Myrtles that are reliably root hardy to zone 6. They have native american names, such as Hopi, Cherokee, etc.


I have had one for several years now in Ohio. Report It



No comments:

Post a Comment